Monday, June 9, 2008

Charlotte Brides Want to Know : Cheyenne Schultz Photography

Wow, I can't believe it was last fall that I met Cheyenne over a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks! Time really does fly. She had been reading my blog and realized I was in Charlotte and after I saw her work I was glad she was in Charlotte, so we had to meet. Cheyenne is an amazing photographer, who is very serious about her art. I knew when we began to chat that she was going places. So I was so happy she agreed to my interview. So, sit back and get to Cheyenne. I'm positive after reading this interview and looking at some of her work, you'll be interested in knowing more about how she can assist you on your wedding day. Oh I almost forgot, please check out her blog it is full of gorgeous photos and it is a true look into her life as a photographer. I love it.

cheyenne headshot

How long have you been in the wedding industry?

Just a little over one awesome year. :)

How did you get started in this industry?

Since I was little, I've always enjoyed taking photographs for fun. Growing up, did I ever in a million years think that I would one day be a wedding photograhper? No way. I wanted to be a teacher by day and sing in a band by night (anyone who has heard me sing is laughing hysterically right now). It just goes to show you how very little control I have over my destiny - seriously....it's all God pulling me where he wants me. April 2007 was my first official shoot. One of my friends needed her bridal portraits taken, so I tag-teamed with another photographer. Soon after, I did an engagement session for friends and from there, it kind of just took off with no warning. And now, here I am, about to leave behind my master's degree to pursue this new passion of mine full-time.

What do you love most about the wedding business?

My favorite part of this business is when wedding day actually hits. It's so awesome to share in one of the happiest days of my clients lives. My favorite part of the day is that first moment that the groom sees the bride - the look on his face is like none other. Capturing emotions like this is what really gets me excited about the work that I do.

What are you most excited about these days?

Business - I'm going full time with my business starting at the end of June!

Personal - My husband - Geoff - and I celebrated our first year anniversary on June 9th....I can't believe it has already been a year! I couldn't be more blessed to have him as my husband. Not only is he an amazing man and best friend to me, but he is my business partner! Geoff and I shoot all of our weddings together, which makes for a great time.

Who or what inspires you most?

My biggest inspiration for my business has been another photographer based out of California (shout out to my home state!) - Jasmine Star. She has been in business for a very short period of time (I think about 2 years), but has exploded with success. I ran across the blog she kept up with when she first started - she was totally real and honest with what she was going through as she started out. Reading about the risks she has taken (dropping out of law school to pursue photography) to advance her business and about relying on her faith in God is really inspirational to me.

What is your most popular service or product?

Right now I find that the hottest product is simply having the DVD of images after wedding day. However, we recently partnered with a brand new album company that is totally hip and fun - I suspect our albums are going to get pretty hot!

What is the last thing you read?

My messages on facebook - FACEBOOK ME!

How do you describe your style?

Fresh, modern, and real. On wedding day we tend to lean toward an approach centered in photojournalism, but I don't limit it to just that. We really thrive when we get to play around to do some fun and creative stuff.

If you could vacation anywhere where would it be?

I'm going to have to say Europe - Geoff and I REALLY want to make it over there before we have babies! I was over there in 2001 while studying abroad in Scotland, but I'd really like to spend some time there with my guy. :)

What food could you not live without?

My gut reaction was anything covered in chocolate(especially strawberries), but today I'm going to have to go with.....Zax sauce! Man, I love that stuff . I don't know what I ever did without Zaxby's chicken while growing up in California.

If brides only knew this….

.....how important it is to completely trust the vision that your photographer has. My shoots are a million times better when I know that my clients have given over the reins to me. I'm lucky in that the couple's I get to work with are really easy going and don't look at me like I'm nuts when I ask them to do something that may seem off the wall.

Now here are a few of my favorites. If you're in need of a wedding photographer in the Charlotte area, please check out her blog to see more of her amazing work!



cheyenne7

cheyenne6

cheyenne5

cheyenne2

cheyenne1













1 comment:

Unknown said...

Simply amazing story. A wonderfully natural photographer that is able to capture emotion on paper in a contemporary fashion beyond description. I can remember seeing the first attempts and looking at Cheyenne and Geoffrey with amazement. The style is definitely recognizable as Cheyenne Schultz Photography. I don't think she even has to have her name on it to recognize it...and that is a statement in itself! The power of the personalities on a special day is caught within seconds and remembered for years to come.