Monday, June 2, 2008

Charlotte Brides Want to Know: SJB Weddings & Events

Before I start with the other vendors in this area, I thought it would be appropriate to start with myself Shanika J. Butts of SJB Weddings & Events. It's kinda weird to interview yourself, but anyway, here I go! :)

14_bw

How long have you been in the wedding industry? I am fairly new to wedding planning. We have been in operation since October of 2006.

How did you get started in this industry? That's an interesting story. Well, my husband, daughter and I moved to Charlotte, NC from Fort Lauderdale, FL in the summer of the 2006. People always ask why did we move to Charlotte, well we were running from hurricanes. One of my goals was to start my own wedding and event planning company and when we got here I got started. I started meeting vendors, joined the Charlotte area NACE chapter , started chatting with my girls from I-Wed and started booking clients. It has been a lot of hard work, but very rewarding work.

What do you love most about the wedding business? I love working the various vendors in order to pull off a once and a lifetime event for a couple. It always makes me feel so good to see the bride and groom head to the dance floor for their first dance. For those few minutes you know the bride and groom are really enjoying each other!

What are you most excited about these days? Well I am expecting a new baby in October. We will find out the gender tomorrow. So we'll know if Ronni will get her wish for a sister.

Who or what inspires you most? I get inspiration from lots of places blogs, magazines my family, but lately I've been most inspired by other entrepreneurs. The chances and risks some people take to bring such great service and products to us is a great inspiration to me.

What is your most popular service or product? Day of Coordination is the most popular service. A lot of brides are very much in control of what they want and they just want to relax on their wedding day and that is what we are here for.

What is the last thing you read? I am currently reading What Clients Love by Harry Beckwith. Thanks Katasha and Liene for the great recommendation.

How do you describe your style? My style is traditional with a little modern. I absolutely love a simple wedding!

If you could vacation anywhere where would it be? Today, it would be Turks and Caicos.

What food could you not live without? I could not live without ice cream. I thought I couldn't live without coffee, but I'm living pretty good without it lately.

If brides only knew this…. If brides only knew that the best day of their life is the day after their wedding.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of you! I can help with the ice cream problem!

SJB Weddings & Events said...

Thanks so much, Dawn!!! Well since I'm pregnant, I've kinda given in to the ice cream at least for a little while.

Erin & Gary said...

Congratulations on the new addition! I bet Ronni will be a great big sister - even if "it" is a boy! :)
I'll be sure to tell my mom that you are expecting! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Shanika! I didn't know you were expecting!! I'm sure you've announced it on i-wed, but I've been M.I.A for a while. Congratulations, I'm so excited for you!

Anonymous said...

Terrific picture of you Shanika. And your comment about the day after the wedding being the best, is exactly right. All success in your endeavors!

sonya said...

Congratulations on your beautiful business! I am so grateful to have found this site. I've been needing local vendor info.